Canister vacuum cleaner reviews are a little hard to come by at times. This is largely because many of the largest online retailers of vacuum cleaners are based in United States. Canister vacuum cleaners however, are most popular in the European market.
The best canister vacuum cleaners excel in their flexibility and manoeuvrability. They are flexible in that there are dozens of different heads which can be attached to them, which makes them perform well in a wide variety of situations. The are manoeuvrable thanks to their small compact design, which allows them to easily get under furniture and into other tricky situations that may be a bit harder with an upright model vacuum cleaner.
Why buy a Canister Vacuum Cleaner?
I personally feel a canister vacuum cleaner is the average family’s best choice when purchasing a new vacuum cleaner, that will only have to deal with your standard everyday situations. If this sounds like you, read on!
Let’s looks through some great reasons to purchase a canister vacuum cleaner.
- The best canister vacuums are comparable to uprights in terms of overall vacuuming performance. They both have great suction power if you are buying a mid range product from a known brand. As with all purchases, if you buy the cheapest you can find, you will likely be disappointed. The same goes for canister vacuum cleaners. You can get some for under $75 which will do an alright job, but if you want a reliable product that will leave a house spotless, expect to spend a little more.
- Canister vacuum cleaners are easy to maneuver that other types of vacuums. A canister vacuum sits on wheels, and it pulled around behind wherever you are vacuuming with the long, adjustable hose. They typically weigh just a few kilograms so dragging a canister vacuum behind you is no big deal. Additionally, if you need to carry it up a flight of stairs, or outside to your car, you aren’t going to pull a muscle!
- Pet hair is often really tough to vacuum, and canister vacuum cleaners are not immune to this problem. The good news however is that there are so many attachments available for canister vacuum cleaners, that all you need to do is head on over to our pet hair attachment page, and purchase a new attachment that’s made specifically for pet hair. The even better news, is that most canister vacuum cleaners come with a rotating head attachment in the box, so you don’t even need to worry about purchasing one!
- Canister vacuum cleaners are great if you plan to use your vacuum to clean your car. The are light enough to carry out side, and the cord can often reach a plug. The worst case scenario is that you will have to buy an extension cord if your driveway is 15 foot or so away from where you park your car. As I mentioned above, most canister vacuum cleaners will come prepackaged with a range of attachments. Often one of these is a crevice tool, which lets you get into the tight area between your car seats and the centre console. You know the place, where EVERYTHING seems to get dropped, especially when you are in a rush?!
- While we are on the topic of attachments for pets and cars, they also sometimes come with an upholstery brush, and a small rotating brush attachment which is perfect for use on your furniture. If your cat is anything like mine, it will sleep on your couch or bed and leave behind a pile of loose fur. These two attachments are available for most canister vacuum cleaners, cost under about $40 for a package, and will make your life so much easier when dealing pet hair on upholstery, and when vacuuming the interiors of vehicles.
- We have established above that canister vacuum cleaners perform well on carpet, in cars, and on upholstery, but they also perform highly on hard floorings. If your house is 100% hard floors such as wood, tiles, or lino, then a canister vacuum is exactly what you need. Stop reading this page, and head down to our canister vacuum cleaner reviews, and find the highest ranked one you can that is within your price range!
Should you buy a canister vacuum? In our opinion, yes, canister vacuum cleaners are great for 95% of jobs. Read our reviews and find the one which best suits your needs.
Buy what about other types of vacuum cleaners? Should you also consider them? In some special cases you may want to also consider other types of vacuums. If you have a small apartment, and are amazed by technology, you may want to read our robot vacuum cleaner reviews. These little machines are getting so much smarter and are incredible to watch. However, if you have a super messy house, and lots of cords and cables, a robot vacuum cleaner may get stuck or tangled, which defeats the purpose of buying an automatic vacuum
We also always recommend purchases a cheap handheld vacuum cleaner to work alongside your main vacuum cleaner. Handhelds are so convenient you will find you use it more often than you think. It simply means for those little spills that need a spot-clean, you don’t have to get your canister or upright vacuum out of the closet, plug it in, and wheel it over to where the mess is. Perfect!