The ILIFE brand consistently delivers quality robot vacuum cleaners that won’t break the bank. The best seller of the range is without doubt the ILIFE A4 model, which sits at a little under $200 at the time of writing, from online retailers. Writing this ILIFE A4 review has been an absolute blast. I love the brand and look forward to what the develop int he future.
If you find the iRobot Roomba products a little to pricey, then keep on reading, because the A4 should be the alternative you consider next.
If this is your first time buying a robot vacuum cleaner, let me quickly dispel a few myths, as people often think of robotic vacuums as the one cleaner solution you will need for your home. That is simply not true. They are smart, and getting smarter every year, but they will never replace a human. I am yet to discover a robot vacuum cleaner that doesn’t need help occasionally. They can get stuck in cables if it ventures under your TV unit, or next to a wall plug that your cell phone is charging from. They can become trapped on shaggy rugs, and the edge of thick rugs. And they can sometimes struggle with picking up stubborn pet hair that is gripping tightly onto your carpet.
With all that being said, I still love robot vacuum cleaners and highly recommend anyone who has a spare few hundred dollars consider buying one. Let me explore the features of the ILIFE A4 vacuum cleaner and you will soon start to realise just how helpful these little robots can be.
- Cheaper than the iRobot Roomba alternatives
- Works on all floor types, including thin carpet, tile, wood, and marble
- Five cleaning modes: Max, Spot, Edge, Schedule, Auto
- Programmable scheduling allows you to set your robot to clean when you are out at dinner, or during work hours.
- Larger dust bin than previous models meaning it can hold a lot more dirt, hair etc. This also means you don’t have to empty the unit as much.
- No virtual Wall technology, like the iRobot brand (Virtual Wall lets you ‘wall’ off areas of your home to prevent your robot from going there)
- Slightly squeaky wheels when turning
- Because it moves faster than previous models (which is great) it also bumps into furniture harder. If you have precious/delicate furniture consider a higher end alternative. I am yet to see any marks left on furniture however.
- Can be a bit tedious and dirty to empty the dustbin.
The ILIFE A4 is such a great value robot vacuum cleaner. At his price point you are buying slightly cheaper than well known brands, but still getting a quality product. If you have owned previous ILIFE models, such as the A3, you will enjoy some of a enhancements on the A4 version.
If you can’t justify $300 to $800 on iRobot Roomba vacuum cleaners, this is a good alternative.
Are robot vacuum cleaners any good?
The bottom line is, quality robot vacuum cleaners are good. Check knockoffs are terrible. Therefore it is important to read the features and technology in any robotic vacuum you are considering purchasing. Also read our thorough review below, and any other customer testimonials on websites like Amazon.
Essentially robot vacuum cleaners are great additions to households that have a larger vacuum, or a handheld vacuum, to use in conjunction with. If you only have a robot vacuum cleaner you may find yourself frustrated when you need an extra clean home for a dinner party or other gathering.
What’s in the Box?
- 1x ILIFE A4 Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- User manual
- Remote Control
- Extra HEPA filter
- Extra side brush
- Cleaning brush
- AC adaptor
- Charging dock
Feature & Performance Analysis
Five distinct cleaning modes
Your A4 comes with five cleaning modes pre programmed. These are:
- Max mode: Enhance your cleaning by activating max mode. You will notice the noise slightly increasing and the suction gets deep into your carpets.
- Spot mode: Focus your A4 on cleaning a particular area of your room. Perfect for spills or setting it to clean where the kids have been playing.
- Edge mode: Set the vacuum to clean along the walls to get all the accumulated dust and hairs out of room corners.
- Scheduled mode: A standard feature in many robot vacuum cleaners. Scheduling allows you to program your vacuum cleaner to work while you sleep or are out at work. Disclaimer: robot vacuum cleaners are not silent as some people imagine, so scheduling it at night may not be ideal.
- Auto mode: Automatic cleaning and recharging.
Tangle free sensors
The ILIFE A4 is equipped with multiple sensors that ensures the robot knows where to go, and can get under beds, around corners, and navigate al those pesky dining table chair legs.
The 4 chip 2600mah battery lets the A4 clean for over two hours on one full charge, and ensures a long battery life. Depending on how hard you make your vacuum work, and what modes it uses, you can get up to three hours vacuuming time from a single charge. Compared to the V3 model, this is a great improvement. Do keep in mind however, that the vast majority of modern robot vacuum cleaners will automatically dock and recharge when their battery runs low.
Robot vacuum cleaners struggle with thick patches of pet hair that latch onto the carpet, and the ILIFE A4 is no different. On hardwood floors or tiles they work just fine, but on carpet and rugs you may find yourself having to occasionally manually pick up some hair, or get out your handheld vacuum cleaner (if you have one) and do a quick fix up of the areas your A4 missed. To me, this is no big deal. I either leave the hair, and know that the robot vacuum will probably get it on its next scheduled pass, or just set the A4 to do a spot clean on the area once it has completed its full room clean and returned to its dock.
The A4 is slightly shorter than its predecessor, the A3. This is great to ensure your vacuum gets under low furniture, which is particularly helpful around couches, and in bedrooms if you want to get under your bed cleaned (unless you are like me and store anything and everything under your bed!). For people with asthma and allergies, this is ideal. You want to get a thorough clean, and having a vacuum cleaner that doesn’t get under all furniture can expose you to more dust than yo should be in an ideal world.
Key Facts & Figures
- Automatic Cleaning which is great for around large areas such as lounges and dining rooms.
- Smart Sweeping Cleaning Modes means the ILIFE A4 is flexible for your unique situation
- Anti-collision System to protect you furniture from scuffs, and also to protect the vacuum itself.
- Intelligent Edge Avoidance using IR sensors on the bottom of the A4 will ensure your vacuum cleaner doesn’t go off any high edges, such as staircases.
- Daily Scheduling feature means you can set the time, and have the A4 automatically clean while you are out of the home.
- Slim Design means the A4 can clean under furniture and get into tight spaces that other bulkier robotic vacuum cleaners may miss.
- Quiet Design ensures your ILIFE A4 can run in the evenings without disrupting people wanting to sleep.
- Includes Remote Control with LCD display to ensure managing your A4 is simple & convienient.
- Two Charging Modes come as standard features to give you control: Automatic charge, and manual charge.
- Suitable for all surfaces so you can use your A4 anywhere!
Other Buying Considerations
The ILIFE A4 comes with 12 month warranty. As with all warranties, it makes it easier to return if you buy from a reputable retailer. The ILIFE products on Amazon are sold by ILIFE Innovation and they are the only authorised seller of ILIFE products on Amazon. When you purchase from ILIFE Innovation you can be sure you are buying an authentic A4 vacuum cleaner, and not a cheaper knock off.
The A4 does not have all the technology and reliability that the iRobot Roomba products have, but because the A4 retails at such a low price, the value for money is through the roof. This vacuum cleaner is a great entry point for people who want a robot vacuum cleaner but do not want to spend upwards of $200 to get one.
- It moves much quicker than my older A3 model, and can get the job done faster. I also noticed it isn’t as tall as my A3 so it can get under low furniture easy.
- Love the sleek look of my new A4
- I heard that some robot vacuum cleaners can be a bit noisy. My A4 is quiet and doesn’t keep me awake if it is doing a scheduled clean at night in nearby rooms.
- Every now and then gets stick on my shag rug. I’m sure this will happen with every robot vacuum cleaner but it is a bit annoying coming home from work and seeing it got stuck half way through a scheduled clean.
- MAX mode is great, but can’t be used all the time because it is so much noiser
ILIFE Brand Analysis
The ILIFE brand is now known for creating cheap, but quality, robot vacuum cleaners. Their prices are lower than iRobot Roomba alternatives, but they still deliver a quality product. Our opinion is that the ILIFE delivers some of the best value possible accross all robot vacuum cleaners. In saying that, if you can stretch your budget a bit higher, consider an iRobot alternative in the $250 to $400 price range.
I personally have not had to return a defective unit to ILIFE. However, reports from people who have purchased and reviewed an ILIFE A4 indicate the company is a pleasure to deal with, and sometimes goes the extra mile to ensure their customers are happy. Great to hear!
ILIFE A4 Review Summary
All in all I’m very impressed with the technology packed into this small device for the price it is currently retailing at. I really enjoyed writing this ILIFE A4 review, and am impressed by the technology packed into this cheap device. It is nearly cheap enough to be able to give as a gift, which is perfect for any technology-loving gadget addict.
This is currently our pick for the best robot vacuum cleaner under $200.
If the Roomba range of products is out of your price range, check the latest prices of the ILIFE A4 and you may just find this robot vacuum your new mechanical best friend.